Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Vegetable Garden Now & Then

3rd lot of seeds now set WhoOHHOOOO!!! ... Living in a cold climate means everything needs to be organized to within an inch of its life otherwise I'll miss the season. The window of opportunity is very small

1st lot of seeds set were the onions (now planted as seedlings in main garden)

2nd lot of seeds set were carrots planted directly into garden
and this 3rd lot are the frost tender babies which dislike cold weather and perform better in the warmer months (pumpkins, corn, broccoli, tomatoes, celery, beans, capsicum, cauliflower, cabbage, Lettuce) ...
yes, yes ,yes I know blah, blah I can grow cabbage in the cooler months however I use the old fashioned style of growing vegetables and shut the beds down after harvest .... therefore everything I need is grown in the warmer months (and can be done that way because I live in a cold climate ... I'd do it a bit different if I lived in a warmer place) and then processed or stored by bottling, freezing etc .... so in winter I can sit by the fire & knit when it’s too darn cold to go outside .... simple .... KISS method  ..... Always garden to your own weather conditions not to what the guy on the TV tells you to do.
Hard to believe that a hand full of seeds will produce so much food. Below is a photo of last seasons vegetable garden and some of the vegetables & fruit produced from our back yard
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woolly work space

This is a photo of my little work space where I make the different crochet & knitted toys. I find it incredibly relaxing and no two to...