Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Why do I grow my own food ?

Planted all 4 packets of carrot seeds yesterday because I like to grow my garden as if it were a mini farm ... (and here's a dodgy CARROT PLANTING video to prove it!).. If I'd had 10 packets and a bigger carrot bed I would have planted more ... and if I lived on a farm then I'd be sitting in my tractor right now plowing up the "north 40" (acres) ...I'm not interested in successive plantings (Not that there's anything wrong with that, just doesn't suit me) .... I'm a backyard farmer rather than a hobby gardener ... and I'm deadly serious about what I do and why I do it on such a large scale ... This food that I grow is used to feed my husband and I throughout the year. 




Why? because I hate the taste of the crappola chemical laden, limp, old, moldy excuse for "Fresh Food" that the "Supermarket Titty" provides (I'm sure it leaves the farm fresh unfortunately then held in massive warehouses for too long).

We prepare the beds, I plant, I grow, I harvest and then I process it by a number of different ways (blanching, freezing, bottling, drying, storing, etc depending on the type of vegetable ... I use the K.I.S.S. method (Keep it simple stupid) ... below is a photo of last years carrot harvest ... yup all 80 kilo of them
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Woolly work space

This is a photo of my little work space where I make the different crochet & knitted toys. I find it incredibly relaxing and no two to...