Sunday, 24 August 2014

Chicken Babies

Bit of excitement this morning, checked on my broody hen and heard babies chirping. No matter how many times my hens go broody and hatch out a clutch of eggs I still get exited about it. Naturally I had to take some photos and a video of them. This is a link to the Chicken Baby video.

I am not sure who's the Mother or father of these chicks ... could be Rodger (Rhode Island Red) or could be Stanley (Light Sussex) .... I wasn't actually going to start breeding with any of them until next month however  this hen went broody and I just couldn't resist grabbing some eggs from the other hens and shoving them under her. None of the chicks are actually hers but have come from the other Rhode Island Hens, Light Sussex Hens and Coronation Hens



The photo below shows a hen (not the actual mother of the chick just happened to go broody so shoved eggs under her) with a baby chick that is crossed-linked. The Father was Rhode Island red and the mother was a Coronation Sussex ... the baby is white in colour (when compared with the babies in the above photo) .

The baby in the above photo grew into a very handsome rooster even though he was part RIR and part Sussex he did have some beautiful markings on him. If I had more room I would have kept him because I liked the light brown neck markings plus he was incredibly gentle. Below is a photo of him (he's in the front and about 3 months old in that photo) ...  you can see some of the Rhode Island Markings coming out. I wouldn't have used him for breeding but just to keep him as a pet.

But I didn't have the room for another rooster and he ended up going to my friends farm. She has taken 2 of my roosters now which is great and they live a pretty happy life ... the last time I spoke to her she told me they basically run the household.

The photo below is of a Rhode Island Red hen with her Rhode Island Red chick. Beautiful. They are incredibly gentle & placid. The problem I have with them is that they are such big birds the mothers tend to accidently squash the eggs so have only managed to hatch 1 to 2 babies each time. This hen in particular can manage no more than 4 egg at any one time. This is a video link of her with 2 babies from last year

I have finally given in an purchased an incubator & brooder. did cost me a bit of money but it is something I have been thinking about for many years and after a lot of researching etc I have settled on  Maino Incubator & separate Brooder. I like them because they are made from stainless steel which is easy to keep clean plus able to get replacement parts. I have never used an incubator before so the next couple of months is going to be a massive learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woolly work space

This is a photo of my little work space where I make the different crochet & knitted toys. I find it incredibly relaxing and no two to...